Preparation time: 45 minutes to 1 hour
Susan’s Peruvian Quinoa with Black Beans and Avocado is a great gluten-free option and has something to please EVERYONE! Enjoy some this Summer…
This recipe is featured in “The Complete Macrobiotic Diet“
- 1 cup white quinoa, or a mixture of white and red quinoa if you rather
- 1¾ cups water in addition
- 1/16 teaspoon sea salt so you can add while cooking the quinoa
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 2½ to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ cups pre-cooked black or red beans
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- 2¼ teaspoons umeboshi vinegar
- ⅓ to ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 avocado, diced
- Fresh squeezed lime juice, to taste
- Either red chili or jalapeño pepper, seeds removed and finely sliced, optional
- First, place the quinoa and 1¾ cups water in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Add a small pinch of sea salt, cover, and place a flame deflector under the pot.
- Lower the flame and simmer on low for 15 minutes.
- Remove the quinoa from the pot, place in a bowl, and set aside.
- Most noteworthy, heat the olive oil in a separate pan.
- Add the red onions and begin to sauté.
- When the onions begin to glisten, add a small pinch of sea salt, ¼ cup water and continue to sauté.
- Add the black beans and a small amount of bean cooking liquid, to keep the mixture moist.
- Add the remaining sea salt and fold to blend the seasoning.
- Furthermore, lower the flame and let simmer 6 to 7 minutes.
- Turn off the flame, while you then add the cooked quinoa.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil over the grain.
- In addition, add half of the chopped cilantro, the avocado and a little fresh-squeezed lime juice.
- Gently fold to mix all the ingredients together.
- Finally, place in a serving dish and garnish with a little freshly made guacamole if desired.
**To receive gluten-free recipes like this delivered directly to your inbox, sign up for our newsletters!