When it comes to our health, we think about lungs, heart, and brain. However, we forget an integral part of our wellness comes from the large intestine and gut health. The large intestine fights off sickness, keeps lungs healthy, and helps us stay mentally strong. But with modern diet lacking in fiber and nutrients and causing harm to our large intestine then it is no wonder we are dealing with sickness more often. So here is everything you need to know to support large intestine health and heal your gut. Have the strong health you always wanted!
Large Intestine Function
The large intestine, the lower part of the digestive system, produces vital nutrients, absorbs water and nutrients as well as removing waste and harmful bacteria or microbes from the body. It is a major organ for eliminating waste and toxins from the body.
Why is Large Intestine Health Important?
The large intestine health is interconnected to vitality of all other organs. When the large intestine is strong then it will supply the body with nutrients, keep the body balanced, and stop harmful microbes from moving into the bloodstream. Making you feel clear-minded and energetic. However, when the large intestine is unable to eliminate waste effectively then bad bacteria or microbes can take over in the large intestine and travel throughout the body harming the other organs and systems. In this case, lungs become involved in keeping the body clean.
Signs of Poor Large Intestine Health
When the large intestine is unhealthy, it struggles to detox the body and has low immune function. Here are the 7 signs of an unhealthy gut:
- Poor bowel movements
- Skin problems
- Constantly sick
- Feeling lazy, unmotivated, and tired
- Cloudy thinking and forgetfulness
- Excessive flatulence
- Trouble with breathing and lung problems
What Weakens Your Large Intestine
Foods in modern diet lack fiber and nutritional value, therefore, there are no vitamins and minerals for the large intestine to take in and deliver to the body. That is why on a poor diet we feel physically and emotionally fatigued. Here are foods to limit or avoid in order to have strong gut health:
- Animal foods––decreases the amount of nutrients and minerals absorbed and causes harmful effects on the gut health and lungs.
- Dairy––disturbs the bacteria environment in the large intestine.
Processed foods and refined sugar––very little nutrition value as well as interferes with microbiome.
Heal Your Gut
The large intestine needs healthy foods to build good bacteria and prevent sickness. Here is how strengthen and improve your large intestine health:
- Eat healthy carbohydrates including vegetables, whole grains and beans, and sea vegetables. All these foods are high in fiber and go through the entire digestive process allowing for nutrients to easily absorb in the large intestine.
- Eat naturally pickled and fermented foods––creates probiotics and good bacteria in large intestine.
- Sitting down while eating without doing anything else. Sitting is the position best for you large intestine to absorb nutrients.
- Eating slowly and chewing food well––easier for your gut to take in nutrients from your food and increases the amount of nutrients absorbed .
- Take a walk outside or other physical activity.