Susan Waxman has dedicated herself to helping clients feel better and teaching students how to cook healthy meals. Try her amazing sweet vegetable and millet recipe. Enjoy!
What is Millet?
Millet is a seed that is primarily cultivated in Africa, Asia, and Europe. It is rich in nutrients and has a mild nutty and corn flavor.
Is Millet Gluten Free?
Yes. It is a great healthy, filling seed for those who cannot eat gluten.
Sweet Vegetables & Millet Recipe
- 1 cup millet, washed
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups of sweet vegetables, diced
- Choose from a variety of sweet tasting vegetables, for example: leek and cabbage, onion, winter squash
- Ratio: 1 cup millet 3 – 3 1/2 cups of water
- Dry roast millet in a skillet until the grain gives off a nutty fragrance.
- Layer sweet vegetables in the bottom of the pan.
- Place roasted millet on top of vegetables.
- Add water and a pinch of salt.
- Cover and bring to a boil on medium flame.
- Once boiling, place the flame deflector under pot, lower flame and allow to simmer for 40 minutes.
- Gently mix vegetables with grain, being careful not to mash.
- Place in serving bowl and cover with a sushi mat.
Tips on Creating a Healthy Meal
- Eat a grain or grain product with every meal.
- Eat oatmeal, cracked wheat, cornmeal or other soft cooked grains for breakfast.
- Eat at least one vegetable dish with every meal.
- Eat a wide range of vegetables and cook them in a variety of ways.
- Eat one or two small bowls of soup every day.
In addition, include a variety of foods in your macrobiotic vegan diet. This will keep you feeling satisfied after every meal. We recommend you visit local farmers market to find new and in-season foods.